Monday, October 3, 2011

A Noodle Dream Come True



"Imagine a world where the noodles are calorie free"...I didn't quote this but I have certainly yearned for it. Yes, it has come to past that noodles can be included in healthy meals thanks to Miracle Noodle (the above quote is written on their packaging). I can't tell you how pleased I am with the taste, texture and cooking instructions of this low calorie noodle brand.

The name of this noodle is Shirataki and the miracle part of this noodle is derived from the root of the Konnyaku Imo plant. The plant consists of a soluble fiber called glucomannan. I'm sure the website and your own research would make more sense than my explanation.

But let's get to the delicious and guilt-free part. It's zero calories and the total carb is less than 1 gram, no sugar, fat, cholesterol and sodium. Crazy huh? Now I warn you that when opening the package there is an initial smell to it, not pungent but obvious. But the cooking instruction says to rinse for about 10-15 seconds, blanche for about minute and let dry on paper towel. So the rinsing and blanching definitely diminishes the light smell. However, ultimately, it's a great alternative for me when it comes to having a noodle fix. The noodles do absorb any flavor added and the texture is just what I like.

For my lunch, I mixed a package of prepared Miracle Noodle: Angel Hair with some soy sauce and Korean red chili paste. It was a meal of Asian style fried egg, Kim Chi, lightly salted seaweed and Miracle Noodle! Yum. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment