Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Family Recipe: Uncle Sam's Sardines

It's packed with Omega-3 fatty acids and it comes in a can...I'm talking about sardines! This recipe was first introduced to me by my Uncle Samuel when I was a kid. He didn't cook all the time because of his busy work schedule but when he did, it was really man-food good. Come to think of it, all the males on my mother's side are great cooks thanks to my grandpa. And I know he wouldn't want me to announce this but Uncle Sam is still single, great with children, clean and he's a great cook! (hehe I'll ask for forgiveness later)

Well, this dish is best served with warm rice and a side of cold sliced cucumbers. The dish calls for tomatoes, I used cherry tomatoes this time but any kind of tomato will do. I hope you enjoy making and eating it as much I do!

What you will need:

1 can of Sardines in tomato sauce with or without chilies
6-8 halved Cherry Tomatoes (Use a different kind if you wish)
2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
3-5 cloves of Garlic, minced
2-3 stalks of diced Green Onions (separate green from white part)
1/2 cup of chopped Cilantro
2-3 Green Chilies, sliced or use 1 tablespoon of Red Crushed Peppers
1-2 teaspoon of Fish Sauce
1/2 a Lemon or Lime
Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Then add garlic, chilies/red crushed peppers and a pinch of salt. Fry garlic until aromatic and slightly golden.
  • Add green onions (only the white part) and tomatoes, saute until tomatoes are softened. Press tomatoes to burst their pulp. 
  • Then add sardines, fish sauce, 1/4 cup of cilantro and salt & pepper to taste. Heat all the ingredients for about 2-3 minutes. Stirring gently occasionally. Squeeze lime/lemon over dish, mix in the rest of the cilantro and green onions, heat for 1 more minute.
  • Remove from heat and let cool for about 2 minutes.  Serve in a separate bowl from rice and add a side of sliced cool cucumbers for dipping! 
Just in case you were wondering what kind of sardines I used:
They cost $.69-$1 each and I used the Green can this time.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and became a follower! :) I don't know if I could eat sardines! :) But I bet your nails and hair are healthy if you eat them often! Ha! Erin

    www.healthybranscoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Erin,

    Thanks for the comment and I'm hoping that my hair and nails do get healthy! :) I also followed you as well. You have a beautiful family. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete