Friday, June 25, 2010

Stuffed Cucumber and Pork Soup


Hi everyone, today I'll be showing you how to make Stuffed Cucumber and Pork soup. Growing up with my family, my father would always enjoy his flavorful stir-fries along with a side of hot soup.  Sometimes my mom would make a leafy green soup and other times completely meat. This soup gives us a veggie stuffed with meat so kudos to her.

There is a more popular soup like this that is made with bitter gourd and it's quite delicious if I may add my 2 cents.  But this particular one came to mind because of summer and all this talk of cucumber tea/water and my sudden craving for peppery pork. So I wedded the two ingredients in my mind and that's how I ended up making this delight for dinner. Random? I know. But that's how this crazy brain works.

Here is the way I make Stuffed Cucumber and Pork Soup. Mind you, I usually make enough to feed about 4-6 folks so if it's just you or two...please minimize accordingly or go all the way and have leftovers.

What you will need:

8 cups of water
3 medium to large Cucumbers
1 or 1/2 of Ground Pork
4 cloves of Minced Garlic
2 teaspoons of Black Pepper
1 teaspoon of Salt
Pork or chicken bouillon
Bean Thread Noodles (Optional. Before adding them to hot water, make sure they've been soaking in cold water for at least 5-10 minutes)
More salt & some soy sauce to taste

  • Peel cucumbers and cut into 1 to 2 inch thick pieces.
  • Using a small knife or whatever allows you to gently scoop out the inside seeds and mushy part of the cucumber pieces.
  • In a bowl mix ground pork, minced garlic, salt & pepper.
  • Stuff the cucumbers with the pork mixture.
  • Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add the bouillon.
  • Gently drop the stuffed cucumbers into the boiling water. 
  • Cook under medium heat until meat is almost cooked.
  • The add bean thread noodles and add more salt or soy sauce according to taste. Serve when pork is completely cooked. 
If your main dish is fairly salty, cut back on the soup's salt. Creating balance for your palate can be quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment