Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sour Mustard Greens and Eggs

Yes, I promised you I'd blog more and making it on a Wednesday night for me is quite the feat. But enough of me. How about more fooooooood?

Today's dish is a simple yet underrated delight from Southeast Asia and from my mother's kitchen to yours. Mind you most of the dishes that I have posted, have all come from her dinner table. I intend to pass her legacy into your homes and bellies in honor of her.

The star of this dish is sour mustard or I'd like to call it, Asian Sauerkraut (I'm sure my German-descended friends would appreciate this one, you know who you are). You can find this in a single packet or more but I buy the single packs for about 79 cents to a $1. In my words: Cheap eat, full tummy.

Here's what you will need:

2 Packets of Sour Mustard
5 Cloves of Garlic
3-4 Large Eggs (depending on how much you like protein)
3 Tablespoons of Oil (Olive, Canola or Vegetable)
1 Tablespoon of Light Soy Sauce (I use Healthy Boy Mushroom flavored)
Salt and Pepper
Cilantro sprigs for garnish
Fish sauce as condiment

Pots, Pan and Misc:

A Wok, large pan or a large pot
A bowl to whisk the eggs
  • First prep your ingredients. Whisk the eggs together, adding a little salt and pepper. Set that aside. Mince or pound garlic. Finally, cut Sour Mustard into thin strips.
  • Add 2 Tablespoons of oil to the wok and turn on the stove to medium heat.
  • Once the oil is heated but not hot, add garlic and stir until fragrant for about 30 seconds. We don't want it to turn golden, just sweated.
  • Add the Sour Mustard. Stir fry Sour Mustard until it is coated and tender. The mustard should go from it's original color of greenish yellow to a yellow green. Meaning, more yellow than green. So that should be about 4-7 minutes.
  • Move the stir fried Sour Mustard to the side of the pan. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil and let it heat for about 20 seconds or less. Add the eggs.
Scramble your eggs until they are more solid than wet. Once they are scrambled, mix in the mustard that was set to the side of the pan and add the tablespoon of Soy Sauce. Stir well until it is all uniformly mixed. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with warm rice, garnish with cilantro and fish sauce on the side. Oh yeah for more heat you can also add red pepper flakes.

For a slight variation, I've added a little sugar before. I've actually had sweet and sour fried mustard greens before. Not my favorite but I know it wouldn't have been sold if it wasn't somebody's favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment